Experimenting

One of the good things about the dye studio being up and running again (still not finished unfortunately, but workable) is that I can experiment again. I decided I wanted to see what would happen if I randomly separated a skein into parts, and dyed them seperately. So I cut all the ties in a skein but one, and I created four seperate bundles…

Image

What I got was a skein in shades of orangey red, with some shocking yellow.  I possibly should have added a little red to the yellow!  But it does give the whole thing a pop. I don’t know what it’s going to be, but I have wound it so I could see where the colours went.

Image

I think the colours ended up mostly together, with the darker orange in the middle, then the lighter orange, then red then yellow. It should make an interesting knit, but what should it be? Also, if I split the skein differently would it end up with less grouped colours? I think this might require more investigation. And knitting.

Unfortunately my knitting time has been minimal lately while I got the Yarn Club finished (rumour has it some of the international skeins have already hit doormats) and getting the website and This is Knit stocked again (check out the twitter feed for some photos from the shop).  But that’s all done, and I think I’m going to relax a bit on the dyeing for a week or two, and knit instead.  I have three patterns I want to get out as well, so there’s still lots to do.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s